Home Financial Files - Organizing Your Finances - Part III
DEATH - AND ESTATE-RELATED INFORMATION
Use this checklist to gather infromation. Give a copy of the list and the relevant documents to whoever will be handling your affairs.
- Conformed copy of will. Original is held by:________________
- Copy of any other testamentary document (such as letter of instruction)
- Signed copy of power of attorney/durable power of attorney
- Signed copy of medical durable power of attorney/helath care proxy
- Signed ocpy of living will
Instructions in the event of death
- Funeral instrustions. Do you with cremation, memorial service, and/or funural with open or closed casket?
- Special information in death notice in newspaper. Papers to contact.
- Instructions regarding memorial gifts:
- Cemetery name:
- Plot number:
- Location of deed to plot:
- People/institutions to contact:
- Insurance agent:
- Mortgage holder:
- Social Security office:
Important notes: There should be only one signed copy of a will. If you change law firms, have the original attorney send the will to his or her successor. But your health care agent should have a signed copy of the health care proxy and living will.
A safe deposit box is sealed when the bank learns of the owner's death, so the will - and any other papers that may be needed immediately after death - should be left elsewhere. Spouses with separate boxes should not keep each other's wills in them in the event of death in a common accident.
Organizing Your Finances, Personal Finance, Death-Related Information, Wills