AllFinancialMatters

A personal finance blog dedicated discussing such topics as budgeting, asset allocation, 401K, IRA, cash flow, insurance, financial planning, portfolio management, and other areas in personal finance.

Google
 
Web allthingsfinancial.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Free Gulliver!

Today we have the priveledge of having the first ever guest blogger on AllThingsFinancial! Feel free to post comments and questions. Tripp will check in and answer any questions you have. To read an excerpt from the book, click here.



First I would like to thank JLP for allowing me to be a guest host. I appreciate another planner allowing me some air time.

For those of you who do not know about my book, it is a little book for big people. I have done many things over my career (restauranteur, record producer,fashion photographer) but for the last 15 years I have been involved in financial consulting. I have worked with numerous clients and I began to notice that they all had the same basic issues. They were focusing so much on accumulating wealth, they were forgetting about having fun. My book is about getting rich but it has very little to do with money.

One issue most relevant to many of my clients is retirement. Somehow in our society retirement has become a good thing. In fact, many people today will stayin jobs they hate just to be able to save for retirement. In some ways this islike getting married, coming back from the honeymoon, and stating that you cannot wait for the divorce.

If we look at really successful people, they do not "retire." In fact, SuzeOrman who preaches about retirement is herself not retiring. She has plenty of money yet continues to work. She understands that when you do what you love you never want to stop.

I know many people will say," Easier said than done. I hate my job but at least it pays well." My question is; what is the appropriate trade off between a job you hate that pays well and one you enjoy doing that pays less?

I would like to end with the following question; Do you think it is smarter to do work you love and save very little or work you do not like and save a lot?