AllFinancialMatters

A personal finance blog dedicated discussing such topics as budgeting, asset allocation, 401K, IRA, cash flow, insurance, financial planning, portfolio management, and other areas in personal finance.

Google
 
Web allthingsfinancial.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Are Rechargeable Batteries a Good Investment?

With two boys - ages 9 and 8 - and all their toys, we go through a ton of batteries. So, I finally broke down and bought an Energizer Universal Recharger ($19.99) and a 4-pack of Energizer AA NiMH batteries ($9.99), making my upfront investment $29.98.

Now, the question is: how long before I recoup my investment? I am going to assume that the rechargeable batteries last as long between charges as the regular batteries do (I have an email in to Energizer about this but have not yet heard back from them). I can get a 24-pack of regular Energizer AAs for $12.99 ($.54 per battery). The NiMH batteries can be charged 500 times, so that's like 2,000 batteries. Divide $29.98 by 2,000 and you get $.015 cost per battery over the long-term.

So, although it seems like a pretty hefty upfront expense, if my math is correct, over the long-run I will save about $.525 per battery by going with the rechargeables. Oh, and to top it off, I am helping the environment!

Tags: ,